In today’s episode, Merlin talks with Peter Hughes of The Mountain Goats about the logistics of wired touring, keeping a tour diary on LiveJournal, and why The Mountain Goats don’t have a MySpace page.
- Since 1995, Peter has played bass in The Mountain Goats, alongside the band’s founding singer, songwriter, and guitarist John Darnielle. Here’s the band’s bio page.
- The Mountain Goats’ latest record, Get Lonely, is out on 4AD and available on iTunes,
Amazon, and at your finer retailers everywhere.
- Peter also played in Franklin Bruno’s band, NØthing Painted Blue. (I can highly recommend their records Placeholders (1994) and The Monte Carlo Method (1998)).
- Peter also led the hard-to-pronounce DiskothiQ.
- Peter’s own site, Five Tools is a lot of fun and includes many of his wonderful photos.
- Peter uses his LiveJournal as a Mountain Goats tour diary (hint: “friend” him, and he’ll get you back).
- Steven Garrity is the source of that paraphrased quote about MySpace: “MySpace is rock-and-roll and I’m a middle-aged parent in the 50s.” Jesus, it’s so true.